WhatsApp is one of the most popular messaging platforms in the world. Even more so in India. Especially among our older folks who use a lot of it to stay in touch with family and network of friends. Very heavy interactions across the extensive network of contacts often leaves your smartphone short of memory space. What may not be obvious is that the memory consumption is not account of the long chats as much as the pictures, videos, GIFs etc that keep getting shared. The author, whose extract of the article appears below, has put down a few steps that you can follow to prevent putting pressure on precious memory space in your smartphone. Happy WhatsApping. Team RetyrSmart
Use WhatsApp well without putting pressure on smartphone memory
So here are a bunch of easy steps that you can use to prevent WhatsApp from eating your phone’s storage space:
- Open WhatsApp on your Android phone.
- Tap on the three dots on the top right corner of the app.
- Now tap on Settings option.
- In the Settings menu, select Chats option.
- Now toggle the Media Visibility option.
This would prevent the media files that you receive within your app from getting saved in your phone’s gallery automatically.
But if you don’t want to turn this feature off for all your groups and chats and just prevent are couple of groups or individuals from flooding your phone’s gallery, you can also selectively turn it off for specific chats.
- Open the chat window of the indidual or group you want to modify.
- Tap on the contact.
- Go to Media Visibility option
- WhatsApp will now ask you if you want the newly donloaded media from that particular chat to save in your phone’s gallery.
- Tap on No, and you are good to go!
But if you are an iPhone user, worry not as we have listed a series of steps for you using which you can save your iPhone’s memory:
- Open WhatsApp.
- Tap on the Settings option.
- Now tap on Data and Storage Usage option.
- Once you do this you will see detailed settings using which you can decide the type of media file you want to allow to be downloaded on your smartphone. You can choose between — Photos, Audio, Video files and documents.
- You can choose the choose the files not to be downloaded on your iPhone at all or you can restrict the downloading to happen only when your iPhone is connected to a Wi-Fi network. Alternatively, you can allow the WhatsApp media files to download automatically by tapping on the Wi-Fi and Cellular option.
- If you want to save your iPhone’s memory tap on Never and you are good to go.
Disclaimer: The content including advice on this website provides generic information only. Its not been customised for any particular individual or situation. It is in no way a substitute for a qualified and specific opinion whatever be the area viz. health, finances, retirement, lifestyle etc. Always consult a domain specialist for more information. The information is the viewpoint of the author/source and Retyrsmart does not claim responsibility for this information.